Become a Partner
The Ventura County Continuum of Care Alliance has unique programs that focus on placing homeless individuals into permanent housing. The individuals in our programs are working hard to turn their lives around and are in need of a second chance. We hope you will join us in giving them that chance.
We know that it can feel risky accepting tenants who have had problems maintaining housing stability in the past. However, our clients are committed to succeeding, and we are committed to helping them succeed. Yet, we cannot do it alone – landlords literally hold the key to our clients’ futures. That’s why landlords gain several benefits from participating in our program. Consider the following advantages:
- Eliminate advertising costs. Working with our program gives you access to a pool of ready-to-rent tenants. Just call us up when you have a vacant unit, and we’ll immediately match you up with a client that is looking for housing.
- Damage/security deposits. Our organizations aim to help individuals get back up on their feet. We have found that many low-income clients can afford the monthly rent, but have difficulty saving enough money for their security deposit. As a result, we help clients put together this one-time payment.
- Clients have access to time-limited subsidies. Again, our organizations aim to help individuals get back up on their feet. As a result, eligible clients receive a subsidy to help them cover the first three months of their rent. This allows clients some time to stabilize and build an emergency fund for the future.
- Guaranteed rent payments. Our clients are pre-screened and have a stable source of income. However, should one of our clients run into a problem, we have a pool of funds set aside to help get clients through those rough spots. In some circumstances, we will also co-sign leases to virtually eliminate any risk to landlords. Our projects can lease units at the Fair Market Rate (FMR) set by HUD.
- Clients are attached to needed services. Some of our clients have special needs, but we work with our clients to correct past mistakes and prevent future problems, and through our network of partners, clients have access to an array of supportive services.
- Problem prevention through regular home visits. Our case managers conduct regular home visits to ensure that clients are stabilized in their new environments, that their jobs are going well, and that they are getting the support they need. Regular follow up with clients allows us to identify and address problems early before they become irreparable.
- Neutral party to mediate problems. Despite our best efforts, problems are sometimes inevitable. However, when problems arise, it can be reassuring to know that there is someone to call. We care as much about our relationship with our landlords as we do our clients. We need everyone to make our program work. The job of a case manager is to be a neutral party, ensuring that everyone is treated fairly and that problems are resolved quickly and impartially. This includes help evicting a client (and covering eviction costs) when warranted.
- Satisfaction from helping others. Everyone deserves a safe and affordable place to live. Some people make mistakes, but everyone deserves a second chance. By helping house our clients, you are playing an integral role not only in helping individuals take charge of their lives, but also in making your community a better place to live.
If you are interested in partnering with us, please contact:
Landlord Engagement Program Manager
United Way of Ventura County
(805) 485-6288, ext. 228