End Homelessness News Feed
- Is Unsheltered Homelessness About to Increase in Your Town? Much Will Depend on Decisions We Make Now.Among the beneficiaries are individuals in fragile health who had been residing outdoors and who did not feel comfortable or safe in more traditional larger shelter programs. Because of this new approach, people were kept safe from transmitting or acquiring […] The post Is Unsheltered Homelessness About to Increase in Your Town? Much Will Depend […]
- Home and Community-Based Services: Life Giving Supports for People Who Need ThemBy: Nicole Jorwic, Senior Director of Public Policy, The Arc Despite the devastating impacts of the pandemic, our nation’s response to COVID-19 has provided many new opportunities to expand badly needed resources to address the unmet needs of people who […] The post Home and Community-Based Services: Life Giving Supports for People Who Need Them […]
- The Fight for Transformative Federal Investments in Low-Income Housing ContinuesHowever, given how difficult it is for Congress to take decisive action because of wafer-thin Democratic margins in both chambers, a breakthrough may not come until later in the month, or even next month. There is much at stake for […] The post The Fight for Transformative Federal Investments in Low-Income Housing Continues appeared first […]
- Transforming Organizational Practice With a Racial Equity LensAuthored by Va Lecia Adams Kellum, Ph.D., President and CEO of St. Joseph Center, and Keith Anyon, Vice President, Administration, St. Joseph Center, Los Angeles, CA. The sobering reality is that while Black Americans make up just 12% of the […] The post Transforming Organizational Practice With a Racial Equity Lens appeared first on National […]
- Making Lived Experience Count in Your NOFO ApplicationThis post is authored by LaRae Cantley, Social Justice Activist. HUD’s 2021 Continuum of Care (CoC) Program Competition Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) is an opportunity to radically advance systems change. Specifically, we have the opportunity to collaboratively and collectively […] The post Making Lived Experience Count in Your NOFO Application appeared first on National […]
Huff Post RSS Feed
- Full-Time Work Is Not Enough For Millions Of Americans. We Need To Talk About It."I met people across the country, from Appalachia to Oakland, who worked multiple jobs, had multiple roommates, and still could not reliably pay all of their bills each month."
- Man Demolishes Vaccine Opponent's Argument About Homeless People In Just 6 WordsThe apparently homeless man's retort is now trending after an anti-vaccine protester asked why homeless people weren't "dead in the streets with COVID."
- I Was Married With A Full-Time Job. Then I Had To Move Into My Car."How did I wind up living in my car? My husband disappeared. Before he vanished, I stopped recognizing him."
- U.S. Rep. Karen Bass Is Running For Mayor Of Los Angeles: ReportsThe California congresswoman is one of the most prominent Black figures in U.S. politics.
- Homeless Pennsylvania Man Faces 7 Years In Prison Over 43 Cent Soda TheftJoseph Sobolewski allegedly paid $2 for a bottle of Mountain Dew advertised as 2 for $3. A single bottle was $2.29 plus tax.
NY Times RSS Feed
- Candidates Spar Over Homelessness in N.Y.C.Curtis Sliwa, the Republican candidate for mayor, criticized Mayor Bill de Blasio’s social services commissioner, while his Democratic challenger, Eric Adams, called for building more housing and converting empty hotel rooms to address the crisis.
- School Attendance Falls for Homeless Students in N.Y.C.Attendance rates for students living in shelters fell to just 73 percent in the first few weeks of the new school year, compared with around 90 percent for all students.
- Some Tenants in Los Angeles May Lose the City Councilwoman They ElectedHow some tenants in Los Angeles may lose the voice they found on the City Council.
- Pandemic Puts New York City Restaurants at Front of Homeless CrisisAs homelessness grows in New York City, owners seek ways to defuse conflicts between panhandlers and their customers and employees, from hiring guards to feeding the hungry.
- Jack Brown Earns $1 Million to Run Homeless Shelters Despite Troubled PastSome executives at nonprofit groups that operate New York City homeless shelters are benefiting from the plight of the people they serve.