End Homelessness News Feed
- National Alliance to End Homelessness Statement on Overturning of the CDC Eviction MoratoriumThe National Alliance to End Homelessness today expressed its dismay at U.S. District Court Judge Dabney Friedrich’s ruling to vacate the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) temporary eviction moratorium. “Despite the endless disruptions that the COVID-19 pandemic brought to the nation, the CDC eviction moratorium ensured […] The post National Alliance to End Homelessness Statement on Overturning of the CDC Eviction […]
- Know-How, Resources, and Leadership Have Given Us an Historic OpportunityRecently, HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge and VA Secretary Denis McDonough issued a joint statement announcing that the two departments are “aligning efforts and joining forces to work towards ending Veteran homelessness.” Each leader pledged to “mobilize the strength of our […] The post Know-How, Resources, and Leadership Have Given Us an Historic Opportunity appeared first […]
- Reinstating Fair Housing Rules: A Win for Housing AccessThe Biden Administration recently moved to reinstate two key fair housing rules that had been gutted under the former administration. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is looking to restore the disparate impact rule, a legal standard in housing cases that weigh discriminatory effects regardless of intent, and the 2015 affirmatively furthering fair housing rule (AFFH) meant to guide local jurisdictions on compliance with […] The post Reinstating Fair Housing Rules: A Win for Housing Access appeared first on […]
- Recipients Identified for Gordon Wayne Campaign Fund GrantsThe Alliance is excited to announce that, together with Boston College student and homelessness advocate Gordon Wayne, it has identified and provided grants to five organizations working to support homeless and at-risk families. These funds will be used to prevent homelessness for vulnerable families, and re-house […] The post Recipients Identified for Gordon Wayne Campaign Fund Grants appeared first on National […]
- Three Steps to Ensure Robust Funding for HUD’s Homelessness Programs in FY22COVID-19 has upended the typical funding process Congress undertakes annually. Though historic emergency investments in homelessness have provided relief, the annual appropriations process is still an integral component of federal funding for homelessness and housing programs. With that process starting […] The post Three Steps to Ensure Robust Funding for HUD’s Homelessness Programs in FY22 […]
Huff Post RSS Feed
- Caitlyn Jenner Pleads For People To Think Of The Private Plane Hangar OwnersThe GOP California gubernatorial candidate lamented that airplane owners are moving away so they don't have to see homeless people.
- HUD Revokes Trump Rule Allowing Transgender Discrimination In Homeless SheltersThe Biden administration has withdrawn the proposed rule, which would have allowed single-sex shelters to turn away transgender people.
- Judge Orders Los Angeles To Provide Housing To Skid Row's Entire Homeless Population“This ever-worsening public health and safety emergency demands immediate, life-saving action," a federal judge said Tuesday.
- Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Could Be A 'Game Changer' For Homeless PeopleAdvocates in California are urging the state to prioritize the single-dose vaccine for unhoused people, who can be harder to reach.
- California Deprioritizing Vaccine For Incarcerated, Homeless Sparks OutrageAs the state moves to an age-based rollout for the COVID-19 vaccine, advocates worry that people who are unhoused or incarcerated will be left behind.
NY Times RSS Feed
- Remember the Homeless Chess Champion? The Boy Is Now a Chess Master.A soaring chess prodigy is a reminder: Talent is universal, but opportunity is not.
- Seeing the Real Faces of Silicon ValleyFor many midlevel engineers and food truck workers and longtime residents, a region filled with extremes has become increasingly inhospitable.
- Envisioning Better Lives for the People of ‘Nomadland’Readers discuss an essay about the terrors of living in a van by the author whose book was the basis for the movie “Nomadland.”
- I Lived in a Van to Write the Book Behind ‘Nomadland.’ The Fear Is Real.For people whose only home is a vehicle, the knock is a visceral, even existential, threat.
- A Pop-Up Vaccine Site in One of Canada’s Most Impoverished NeighborhoodsIn Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, health authorities have prioritized vaccinations for the homeless and other disadvantaged people to try to contain the pandemic.